2.14.2011

Akira Wrap-Up

I was fortunate enough to watch the Akira Spring 2011 fashion show at the Lyric Opera in Chicago last week.  Prior to the show starting, I envisioned color, prints, and flirty dresses for spring.  I thought, who better than Akira to showcase the trends for Chicagoans, considering Akira is one of the most popular boutiques in Chicago.

Once the show started, I fell in love with the men's collection.  If I could describe the entire collection in one word, it would be vivacious.  Colored shorts, suits, and printed shirts were prevalent on the runway.  I enjoy seeing men in color, especially after 3-6 months of dark colors for the fall and winter.  Overall, I felt that Akira was on point for men.

nbcchicago.com

nbcchicago.com

nbcchicago.com

Akira did an exceptional job with neutrals.  I appreciate safari-type looks for spring and the floppy hats.
nbcchicago.com

nbcchicago.com

nbcchicago.com
nbcchicago.com
There was a point in the show, however, where I felt some type of disconnect between the season and what Akira was showing. The collection ranged from safari camel-colored outfits to a black wardrobe.  I typically do not think of black for spring, yet Akira showed enough of it to cause some confusion as to the season the show was for.  I would prefer to see black in the fall collection.

nbcchicago.com

nbcchicago.com

While the men's collection oozed color, the women's side lacked in that regard.  I saw several bold colors but I wanted more!  Spring is a season to embrace color.  I feel that wearing color lifts up everyone's mood because you're too distracted with the boldness of the color to pay attention to anyone who has a bad attitude.  

nbcchicago.com
I thought the women's collection was just okay.  The show took place at the Opera House, where many dramatic shows have taken place; thus, it would only be appropriate to have a runway show with that same type of drama, whether it's in the shoes that the models wear or the print on the dresses.

Overall, I was fond of the narrative that the men's line created.  I felt that they were in Central Park, waiting for that special someone to have a picnic with and then to surprise her with a boat ride in the pond.  A story is what I craved when I watched the women's collection.  Rather than telling one coherent story, it was a jumble of 3 individual stories.

0 comments:

Post a Comment